Front-End Web Developer
We need a front-end developer with a mature, responsible attitude to work on a host of challenging client and internal projects.
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, whatever your background, history or life situation. If you have the skills we need, are nice to have around the studio, and treat everyone with the same respect you’ll receive, you’ll be welcome here.
You’ll join us in our Canterbury studio. We’re a design, development, and product innovation consultancy. We punch above our weight, make time to try new techniques, frameworks, and technologies, and we have our own internal projects. Client projects are varied and challenging so you’ll need to be flexible - we all need to take on unfamiliar tasks sometimes to get the job done.
Essential Skills and Tools
The basics that we expect from you.
- A flexible, positive attitude - you’ll have to learn and work with our tools and processes;
- Semantic HTML5 to correctly structure page content;
- CSS3 and SCSS;
- Ability to develop using responsive, mobile-first, and progressive enhancement techniques;
- Git version control and experience with branching strategies;
- Good listener and communicator when working in a small team;
- Ability to understand problems from the perspective of a user and a client, as well as a developer.
Skills and Tools You’ll Learn
We don’t expect you to know these when you start but we’ll want you to learn them.
- Gulp, Webpack and Yarn;
- Ability to write accessible html5; knowledge of accessibility principles, patterns, and WCAG 2.0;
- Agile project delivery techniques, we use Kanban in the studio;
- Experience developing for Content Management Systems, we usually use Perch and Perch Runway in the studio;
- Knowledge of user experience principles and methods;
- Principles of information architecture;
- Experience creating wireframes, mock-ups, and storyboards;
- Development and use of pattern libraries, component systems, and design guides.
Bonus Skills and Tools
We’ll consider any of these a bonus, you won’t be asked to learn them (unless you want to)
- Node.js experience;
- PHP and MySQL experience;
- PHP MVC framework experience (such as Laravel 5);
- Ruby on Rails experience;
- Test Driven Development experience
- Vagrant experience;
- foreign language ability.
Our studio is in a modern, environmentally friendly building on the University of Kent’s Canterbury campus. As well as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Canterbury is a young, cosmopolitan city with three universities in all. There are some great restaurants, bars, independent coffee shops. There’s always plenty going on with clubs, societies, and events to suit all interests - from high-brow arts and culture, to creative meetups and sports. Accommodation costs are around half those of London.
London is an hour, the coast is 15 minutes away with loads of beaches and water sport opportunities. France is close enough for a day trip. The North Downs are on the doorstep for walking, cycling, horse riding or whatever countryside activities you’re into.
- £26,000-£31,000 salary according to experience;
- Flexible working options after trial period;
- Tenure based company profit share;
- 28 days paid holiday per year;
- Private Health Plan;
- Company training and conference budget;
- Regular time for skills development, learning and internal projects;
- Access to company library and choice of new titles;
- Discounted gym membership;
- Free car and bike parking;
- Tenure based paid sabbatical.